Thursday, August 16, 2007

Newport Folk Festival on Sunday 2007

Newport on Sunday was truly folk. The Saturday line up consisted on Allman Brothers and others from the jam band community. We avoided that day because we knew we would get our fill of jams at the Gathering of the Vibes. So I opted for my birthday to attend the Folk Fest on Sunday. The main reason was to see my hero Dr. Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys. The line up perfectly matched my music taste.

Alejandro Escovedo waits as the legend steps off the acoustic stage.



Ralph is doing his song that is on the radio with Josh Turner. Great song but he did it accapela...that was such a joy.
Donuts and Cops, humm that is fitting.

Ralph Sr and Jr. Long live the Stanleys!


Ralph picked his banjo for two songs and was really having fun. I am blessed to see him rip the claw hammer style.

Alejandro Escovedo
Alejandro Escovedo was loud but damn this guy rips. I really enjoyed his music live because it is something that doesn't fit in a box. I had to catch this guy and thank him for inspiring people to have hope and strength in the midst of illness. I caught him just after the Ralph Stanley set. He was so cool. I walked right over to Alejandro extended my hand and he shook it as I said "Gracias Amigo" and he replied "Did you like it?". I said very little other than, "you are the man". He laughed. He is such a joy to see in person his smile reminds me of my uncle. Overall, I am now a fan.
Amos Lee

If chilling out and relaxing is what you are into Amos Lee will fit your style. I have all this guy's work and was really excited to see him live. He did not disappoint. Sorry this is not the best picture. Amos and his band have so much fun up there and he is a gifted song writer. I highly recommend these songs Colors, Bottom of the Barrel, Supply and Demand, and Sweet Pea. Check out chill my playlist on Lala.com. Get familiar with Amos Lee! He will not let you down.
The park was so nice. The only draw back was the heat! we made it through with some heavy sun burn but I am so glad we went. Really this venue was the nicest we have been to in years.
I like donuts and coffee but not in 100 degree temperature.

This is the Newport bridge. The view from the bridge is spectacular.
The fort really was fascinating to look at. Imagine a war once took place on this land and now the folk is in effect. Peace and harmony is better than cannons and war.

Rani Arbo and Daisy Mayhem

What a surprise treat. I check out a few of their songs before hand but really didn't get the feelings until they took the stage. This band is really something special. I was blown back by the guitarist. Here is what is on the website:

"What does it sound like? Start with a fiddle, a guitar, and a stand up bass. Add a cardboard box with a suitcase bass drum and tin can cymbals, played by an ex-rock and zydeco drummer. Over that fine groove, hang Rani Arbo's expressive alto, seamless four-part harmonies, and a splash of banjo and ukulele, and you have it. "

I am hooked on this band's sound. They have no genre label and they are playing roots music in the modern age. The percussion is amazing. The dude uses a cardboard box, suitcase, and a bunch of other common things to make noise. This band is a joy to watch live a their recent albums are worth the buy.

No comments: